Completing a construction project is no easy feat and the biggest obstacle is usually scheduling. Many construction managers spend hours in their workweek constantly monitoring and fixing construction project schedules. The process causes a lot of headaches and wastes valuable time that could go towards growing your construction company.
Using construction scheduling software saves you time and keeps your project progress on track. But finding the best construction scheduling software requires you to consider which tools your business needs to succeed.
What is construction scheduling?
Construction scheduling involves planning a project and is the blueprint for making sure a job gets completed on time and within budget. In a construction schedule, you’ll find the individual tasks required to finish the project and a timeline to bring each task to completion.
Construction scheduling takes into consideration multiple aspects of completing projects over a given period of time. This includes:
- Resource management.
- Specialty contractor and employee availability.
- Budgeting and time tracking.
- Area restrictions and building laws.
- Client requests and time restraints.
Who uses a construction scheduling app?
Scheduling software for construction crews is essential for construction managers and their team to keep track of each task.
Project managers need an efficient and accurate construction scheduling app to break down the project into smaller tasks and make sure that they deliver the final project within their clients budget and timeline. It also helps construction managers bid estimates that make sense for their customers and that are profitable.
Key features of best construction scheduling software
Easy crew scheduling
Scheduling your team is not as easy as sending employees and contractors to a construction site.
Construction project managers have to consider their crews vacation days, possible sick days, and other time-off requests. When hiring contractors, their specific skillset needs to be taken into consideration as more than one contractor might be required to complete the job.
Construction schedule software lets you schedule your crew easily. The best solutions offer automation tools to schedule your crew automatically, with all availability and specialties already considered. This save you hours of scheduling, and reduces the likelihood of mistakes or misscheduling crew.
Accurate progress tracking
It’s essential to always check your construction project scheduling software for accuracy and to see the progress of the project. A construction scheduling app increases accuracy and reduces entry errors.
Fewer mistakes mean that you’ll have fewer issues built up over time and won’t overwhelm the whole project plan.
A good construction schedule software has tools that let you personalize your process to fit how you operate your business. Project management tools help you:
- Visualize project timelines with drag-and-drop capabilities.
- View hours worked on individual tasks with time tracking tools.
- Never miss materials and tools by monitoring.
- Avoid double data entry by integrating with your accounting software.
Use construction scheduling software to help you keep track of payments and billing throughout your projects with ease. Some key financial tools found in construction scheduling apps include:
- Employee hours log.
- Payment processing.
- Invoicing, estimates, and work orders.
- Budgeting tools.
Protip: When looking for the best construction scheduling software, choose one that integrates with accounting apps that sync your data across both apps so you don’t spend hours on double data entry.
Managing your customers is an important part of your project scheduling process. It’s important to ensure that your customers are happy and in the know for the entire project. A construction schedule software gives you access to customer details and past job history anywhere and anytime.
Your customers can also use customer portals to stay updated on the projects and have a professional channel to communicate with your customers.
How much does the best construction scheduling software cost?
The price of construction project scheduling software varies depending on the amount of users using the software and what features your business needs to operate efficiently .
There are other costs to consider. For example, in general, the more features a solution offers, the more expensive it is.
Best construction scheduling software 2022
Starting off with a construction schedule software that covers all the key features you need to deliver projects successfully, Method:Field Services is an all-in-one solution for project managers.
Communication between managers, crew, and speciality contractors has never been easier with Method’s mobile app. Easily update tasks and timelines on the job site so that you’re always a step ahead when it comes to staying on track with your project.
What’s more , never worry about inaccuracies when paying suppliers, staff, and others as Method integrates with accounting software like QuickBooks. Company information flows safely from your construction scheduling software to integrated apps in real-time.
Some other features that Method:Field Services offers include:
- Connecting your enter team. Give your team access to time tracking, route plans, job updates, and any other project details on the go with the Method:Field Services mobile project management app.
- Route optimization. Save time on travel with automatic routes and a built-in mapping system.
- Flexible pricing. Choose from flexible pricing plans that grow with you starting at $15 per month.
- Customizability. Method’s no-code platform lets you personalize your construction scheduling software.
- Customer relationship management. Have access to customer details, project history, and leads to follow up with.
- Customer portals. Keep your customers up-to-date on projects through an online portal.
- Stellar customer support. Support is available to help you create a personalized scheduling system for your unique construction company
Method:Field Services offers a free 30-day, no-commitment trial, that includes:
- A free hour of customization services.
- Unlimited support resources.
- Access to all features and the Method mobile app.
Image credit: Fieldwire
Fieldwire gives construction managers time back and focuses on not wasting valuable time finding loose information on projects.
This construction scheduling software makes task coordination easy and leaves little room for miscommunications. Their tools allow for information to flow from managers to crew in an instant so everyone is always in the loop.
Some of the key features and benefits that Fieldwire offers are:
- Scheduling tools for projects several weeks in advance.
- Free help centre with videos, how-to’s, and other guides to get you started.
- The ability to seamlessly add data like 360 degree photos to tasks in progress.
- Real-time progress reports to keep you and your team updated.
Fieldwire’s has four pricing plans to choose from including a $0 Basic plan. Their other three pricing plans are billed annually and priced per user. The Pro plan costs $29 per month, the Business plan costs $49 per month, and their Premier plan costs $89 per month.
Image credit: Capterra
Methvin is a simple solution for project managers looking for a construction scheduling app that offers the basic tools to deliver projects from start to finish successfully.
Their platform connects teams and gives you total control overprojects. All apps are native within Methvin, which gives you a complete project record that is all in one place.
Methvin offers several of the standard features needed from a construction scheduling software, some of which include:
- Secure storage of documents including contracts, payment details, and other confidential information.
- Schedule tasks easily by organizing them to a timeline and inviting others to view projects.
- Manage projects from anywhere and anytime through virtual team management tools.
- Collaborate in real-time and view jobsite processes with an easy-to-use mobile app.
Methvin offers three pricing plans starting with their Free plan which doesn’t cost anything, their Business plan costing $27 per month, and their Enterprise plan costing $179 per month.
Image credit: Software Advice
Contractor Foreman is an all-in-one construction management software that works across channels, including tablets, phones, and computers.
Their construction schedule software manages your projects and makes the process as simple as possible. Whether you’re a newer company or have been in the industry for a long time, they offer the features you need to successfully deliver your construction projects.
Contractor Foreman’s features can benefit your scheduling process greatly. Some of their other features include:
- Easy estimates, invoicing, and online payments.
- Time tracking tools for tracking crew hours.
- Call or email customers, crew, and contractors directly from the app.
Custom form creation.
Their plans start at $49 per month for their Standard plan, $87 per month for their Plus plan, $123 per month for their Pro plan, and $148 per month for their Unlimited plan. All of their plans are billed annually.
Recap: Why you need construction project management software
When choosing a construction schedule software, make sure you consider all the essential features you need to get your projects to the finish line.
To wrap up, keep the following features in mind:
- Crew and contractor time tracking.
- Automatic notifications when schedules are updated.
- Scheduling and routing with a built-in mapping system.
- Customizable project management forms and schedules.
Get started with the best construction scheduling software today with a Method:Field Services trial.
Image credit: JU.STOCKER via Adobe Stock