Work orders are a staple of any business looking to stay organized and profitable. However, before you learn how to get the most out of your QuickBooks work orders, let’s first review what a work order is.
A work order is a document used to keep track of the tasks involved with completing a job. Work orders include details such as:
- When a job should be completed.
- Which team member(s) will be tasked with the work.
- The materials or tools needed.
- Any additional information specific to your business processes.
Currently, a QuickBooks work order does not exist — a problem for many users.
The good news is that QuickBooks users do have options to solve this problem.
The first is with workarounds in QuickBooks. A not-so seamless process, these hacks do get the job done — likely with a few headaches along the way.
The second is with QuickBooks work order apps that integrate seamlessly with your accounting software. Keep reading to learn how to handle your QuickBooks work orders best.
Creating QuickBooks work orders in Desktop
QuickBooks Desktop can create a sales order, which is similar to a work order. The sales order tool offers work order features like customer details, job details, line items, employee information, and, if applicable, the cost of the job.
Note: QuickBooks Sales Order is only available in QuickBooks Desktop Premier and Enterprise versions.
To get started with this QuickBooks work order Desktop hack, turn on Sales Order with the following steps:
- Press the Edit button at the top of the screen and then select Preferences.
- In the left menu, choose Sales and Customers and then go to Company Preferences.
- Check the Enable Sales Orders box and press Ok.
After this, you can create a sales order from scratch or from an existing estimate.
To change your sales order form to become a work order, take the following steps:
- In the Create Sales Order window, find and press the Formatting tab, then click Manage Templates.
- Select Custom Sales Order and then press Copy.
- In the Template Name field, give a new name to the template, such as QuickBooks Work Order.
- Check all options after clicking Additional Customizing and then select Header and change it to Work Order.
- Next to Ship Date, check both boxes to include a field on the form for scheduling jobs. You can change the name to something that fits your business, such as schedule date or job deadline.
- For printing purposes, you can click Columns and clear the second checkbox next to Rate and Amount to have your rates and charges not appear on the printed work order. You can still add or edit this information on the computer work order form for invoicing purposes.
- Make any additional customization specific to your company.
- Select Sales Orders on the Home screen and click Custom Work Order from the Template drop-down menu.
Creating a QuickBooks work order form in Desktop requires you to jump through many hoops — all for a result that’s not as effective as using a work order solution. The reality is that these steps can be pretty overwhelming.
How to create QuickBooks work orders in Online
As mentioned before, QuickBooks work orders do not exist in the Online version of the software. However, users have tried to use the Delayed Charge and Estimate tools to create makeshift work orders in QuickBooks Online.
Let’s take a deeper dive into these workarounds!
Delayed Charge in QuickBooks Online
A Delayed Charge is a transaction that looks similar to work orders and invoices but does not account for your profits and losses.
Here’s how you can make a Delayed Charge:
- Press the + New icon.
- Click Delayed Charge under the Customers tab.
- Enter job information.
- Save and Close.
While the Delayed Charge feature solves the issue of not messing with your cash flow, it has many flaws when acting as a QuickBooks work order.
QuickBooks users have noted that the Delayed Charge tool does not allow you to print the file or add in customer information.
Estimates in QuickBooks Online
Similar to the Delayed Charge feature, many use the Estimates tool as a Quickbooks work order replacement. The issue with this workaround is that the total and sub-total are visible on estimates which aren’t something that every business wants on their work orders.
Bridge the gap: How to elevate your QuickBooks work orders with a field service solution
The limitations in QuickBooks Online and Desktop shouldn’t stop you from seamless work order management.
The reality is, your bottom line is directly impacted by the efficiency of your work order tracking system. A great process will maximize cash flow and allow you to invest in people, tools, and technology that support your growth.
The following QuickBooks work order apps are designed to work seamlessly with QuickBooks to bridge the work order gap.
Keep in mind what your business focus is while reviewing these apps. Some will be a better fit for you compared to others based on pricing, customizations, customer support, and additional features.
Best fully integrated QuickBooks work order apps
It has never been easier to streamline your job management process end-to-end with Method’s integrated QuickBooks work order software. Method:Field Services syncs with QuickBooks Online and Desktop to instantly update your data.
This two-way sync pulls your customer details and job information from QuickBooks into a work order so that jobs can be scheduled and dispatched sooner. This cloud-based field service solution ensures that you no longer have to spend hours entering the same data twice.
With Method:Field Services, work orders can be created using QuickBooks data in the office, then dispatched to field techs on their mobile device of choice. This makes updating schedules a breeze and increases the number of jobs you can complete.
What’s more, is that with the Method mobile app, customer approval is immediate as your field crews can get an e-signature before leaving the job site. Take a look at how your day-to-day could be improved by using Method:Field Services below.
After completing jobs, you can convert work orders to invoices in just a few clicks and receive payments through an online customer portal.
What’s more, you can sync the time tracking entries associated with each work order to QuickBooks for quick and easy payroll processing.
A work order tracking system like Method:Field Services helps you:
- Grow revenue faster.
- Retain customers and drive more repeat business.
- Maximize productivity with less admin work.
With Method:Field Services, you solve your QuickBooks work order problem and speed up your sales process.
The next solution on this list of top QuickBooks work order apps is Field ProMax.
For those new to Field ProMax, it’s a field service management software that integrates with QuickBooks. It can help maximize your productivity and efficiency.
You can manage your operations better with Field ProMax by:
- Creating work orders and dispatching them to on-field teams.
- Tracking locations of your crew for real-time status updates.
- Generating recurring work orders.
- Automating your service requests.
Field ProMax allows you to manage customers and services, schedule days off, assign team leads, create custom inventory lists, and review analytics.
Field ProMax makes it easy to sync customers and items with QuickBooks. You can start with an estimate in Field ProMax and convert it to a work order.
After completion, the work order will automatically create a QuickBooks invoice.
The final solution on this list of QuickBooks work orders app is Jobber. With Jobber, you can turn a work request into a job or book a new job on the spot.
Jobber’s work orders include customer information, service items, and additional notes so that you and your team have a clear idea of what the business day looks like.
When a busy day requires rescheduling, use Jobber to assign and reassign team members to jobs. You can immediately notify your team of schedule changes using the Jobber mobile app.
Your team can track their time and job completion to keep everyone on the same page. All this information then gets synced with QuickBooks to make payroll and invoicing a breeze.
Wrap up: Tips for successful QuickBooks work order integration
Finding the QuickBooks work order app for your business is an important decision. So here are a few additional tips to consider when exploring QuickBooks work order solutions. Look for software that:
- Integrates seamlessly with your version of QuickBooks.
- Captures customer signatures to streamline your approval process and reduce admin work.
- Empower your field crew to stay connected, so work order tracking, and scheduling updates are a breeze.
Take your QuickBooks work orders to the next level with a free trial of Method:Field Services.
Image credit: Blue Planet Studio via Adobe Stock