Create an Estimate
The following steps will show you how to create a new estimate in the Method Estimates App.
Differences exist between how QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts sync with Method, which means some of the fields appear differently (and sometimes do not appear at all). We note where these discrepancies appear.
Create an estimate
- Click New on your Estimates App or click New Estimate in the Estimate List screen. This opens the New / Edit Estimate screen.
- Choose a customer or lead to associate with this estimate. This opens more fields to be filled out.
- The top will show the total, the customer, as well as an app ribbon to associate activities with this estimate:
- Except for Date, the following fields are optional:
- Addresses: Depending on the information you have stored for your customer, billing and shipping information may be filled in.
- Estimate #: Created if the field is left blank, and is assigned sequentially (if the last estimate was #15, this will be #16).
- Date* and Due: Today's date appears in the Date and Due fields (these can be changed manually).
- P.O. Number: Include a purchase order number if applicable.
- Sales rep: Assign a sales rep. This field is not available in QuickBooks Online.
- Wait for approval before syncing: Prevents the estimate from syncing to QuickBooks until a user unchecks this option and saves.
- To be emailed in QuickBooks?: Flags the estimate in QuickBooks as "to be emailed"; group and email multiple estimates in QuickBooks.
- To be printed in QuickBooks?: Flags the estimate in QuickBooks as "to be printed"; group and print multiple estimates in QuickBooks.
- Estimate is active: This estimate appears in the Active filter of the Estimates List. Checked by default.
- Tags: Assign tags to this estimate.
- Opportunity: The opportunity this estimate is linked to.
- To add QuickBooks items to this estimate, add them directly in the grid. To add more lines, select the Add Lines button.
Existing items chosen from the dropdown automatically populate the fields on this screen. If you want to create new items, you must do this either through QuickBooks, or through Method's Items App
- Add an Attachment to the Estimate if need be.
- Include any pertinent Memos; they will not be visible to the customer.
- Choose a Customer message to appear on your estimate (e.g. "looking forward to your business").
- Apply a Tax rate if applicable. This was likely set up within QuickBooks.
- When you have finished your estimate, click Save. It is now visible in your Estimate List.
- Delete - Delete the estimate. This cannot be undone!
- Clear & New - Clear the current estimate so it is empty and you can create a new one.
- Create Invoice - Generate an Invoice from this estimate. You will be taken to the Invoice App.
- Create sales order - Generate a Sales Order from this estimate. You will be taken to the Sales Order App. See this documentation for more information.
- Print: Creates a pdf file of the estimate which you can print. Ensure your pop-ups are not blocked. The pdf is created using a template chosen within your app preferences.
- Email: Email the customer a link to their portal where they will be able to view the estimate online.
- Save & New: Save the estimate and clear the form to enter in a new estimate.
- Save: Save the estimate.
Link estimate to opportunity
If this estimate is being created as part of an ongoing opportunity, please follow these steps.
- Click Pipeline on your Opportunities App. This opens your Opportunities List screen.
- Locate and select the opportunity you wish to link this activity to. You can search manually or use the search function at the top of the screen. This opens the Edit Opportunity screen.
- Click New on the Estimates app ribbon:
Then follow the steps above, beginning with step 3.
Your estimate is now linked to the opportunity, which means it appears in the Estimates app ribbon for this opportunity.