PayPal Credit Card Payments
Requires an active PayPal merchant account. Some restrictions may apply.
PayPal's Payflow Payment Gateway is one of several payment gateways that can be used to accept credit card payments through Method's Payments App.
Requirements For PayPal
To add PayPal Credit Card payments in Method, you will need:
- The Pro version of PayPal's Payflow Payment Gateway.
If you do not have Payflow Payment Gateway, then you can sign up for an account on their site.
Note: Although no longer available, the older PayPal set up listed below will work for those users who still use it.
- PayPal Express Checkout
- PayPal Website Payments Pro
- PayPal Payflow Pro
Step 1: Set up PayPal
Before you can set up Method for PayPal Credit Card Payments, you must ensure PayPal's Payflow is configured properly.
- Sign into http://manager.paypal.com
- Navigate to Service Settings -> Hosted Checkout Pages -> Set Up.
- Under Choose Your Setting, ensure the Transaction Process Mode is set to Live.
- Users need to have Paypal Payments Pro enabled on their payments account. PayPal Express Checkout should be enabled and will look similar to the screenshot below:
If you are seeing the following for Paypal Express Checkout, PayPal Express Checkout is already enabled and you do not have to toggle:
- Under Security Options, ensure Enable Secure Tokens is set to Yes.
- Ensure you click Save Changes.
Step 2: Add PayPal Credit Card Payments in Method
In this section we will now set up PayPal credit card payments as a payment gateway in your Method account.
- Click the Gear icon and select Preferences.
- Select Integrations on the left menu, and then Edit payment gateways. This opens your Payment Gateway List, where you can view your active and inactive gateways.
- Click ⊕ New Payment Gateway to open your new gateway screen.
- From the Credit Card Company dropdown, choose PayPal Credit Card Payments.
Step 3: Configure Payment Gateway in Method
All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required to set up the gateway and will be explained further in the sections below.
What is my Payment Gateway Name?
The Payment gateway name is the name that will appear in the dropdown when you select a payment gateway. You can name this anything you wish.
If this gateway appears in a customer portal, it will be visible to your customers.
What is my PayPal Gateway Username?
The PayPal Gateway Username is your user login for your PayPal Gateway as set when you signed up for a PayPal Flow account.
If you don’t know what your user login is:
- Sign into http://manager.paypal.com
- Go to > Account Administration > Manage Users
- Your User Login is your Paypal Gateway Username.
What is my PayPal Gateway Password?
Your PayPal Gateway Password is the password set up when the account was created. If you can’t recall your password, you will need to reset it within PayPal.
What is my PayPal Gateway Partner?
Your PayPal Gateway Partner is either:
- PayPal (If you are in USA)
- PayPalCA (if you are in Canada)
What is my PayPal Gateway Vendor?
Your PayPal Gateway Vendor is your Merchant Account ID and can be found as follows:
- Sign in to PayPal (not Manager).
- In PayPal, click Profile > Profile and Settings.
- Near the bottom, you will see Merchant Account ID, also known as your PayPal Vendor ID. It will look similar to the following:
What are the other options to fill out?
The rest of the options to fill out should be self explanatory.
- Default Deposit To account: The account where money is initially deposited, which is populated by QuickBooks.
The defaults you set up here will be overridden by the fields on the New/Edit Payment screen if they don't match, so ensure you fill out those fields with the same information.
- Currency: You can assign a currency and choose whether to make it the default for this gateway.
It's a Method best practice to assign a default currency that coincides with the currency most of your customers will use to pay you.
And finally, the following checkboxes represent non-required options.
- Active: gateway is active and appears in the active gateways list and in dropdowns throughout Method.
- Is default payment gateway?: Is this gateway the default payment gateway used for all payments?
When you've filled in your details, click Save.