Uninstalling the Method Sync Engine
If you have to reinstall or you have cancelled your account, you will want to uninstall the Method Sync Engine. This is only for those who have their Method account connected to QuickBooks Desktop.
If you have attempted to remove the Method Sync Engine from your computer already, you will need to reinstall the Method Sync Engine in order to properly follow the steps below. To reinstall Method, view our QuickBooks Desktop Install article. Once that is done, proceed with the steps below.
Step 1. Shutdown the Method Sync Engine
- Open QuickBooks.
- Open the Method Integration Engine.
If the Method Integration Engine is not open, click Start > Programs > Method > Method Integration Engine for Use with QuickBooks. If the Method Integration Engine is not visible, right-click on the Method icon in your taskbar next to the clock in the lower right-hand corner of your screen, and click Display.
- In the Method Integration Engine, click Disconnect.
- Click Synchronize > Real time QuickBooks Subscription > Remove Subscription.
- Click File > Shut Down.
Step 2. Remove Permissions from QuickBooks Desktop
- In QuickBooks Desktop, click Edit > Preferences.
- Click Integrated Applications > Company Preferences > Method Integration Engine Listener > Remove > Yes.
- Click Method QuickBooks Desktop Integration Engine for use with QuickBooks > Remove > Yes > OK.
- Click File > Exit.
Once QuickBooks is closed, try to reopen it.
- If you receive the message to enable Method with QuickBooks again, click Cancel and continue with the step 3a below.
- If you do not receive a prompt from QuickBooks asking for Method to connect, move to step 3b.
Step 3a. Uninstall Via Tool
- Open QuickBooks Desktop to the file that Method is subscribed to.
- Download and run this (it is silent, doesn’t say anything after it is run) EventUnsubscriber.exe
- Close QuickBooks Desktop and Reopen.
Step 3b. Uninstall Manually
- Ensure QuickBooks Desktop is closed.
- Open My Computer and navigate to:
C:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\Application Data\Intuit\QuickBooks
If you are unable to locate this file, use the Find tool on your computer to search for the file called “qbsubconfig.xml".
- Delete the file called qbsubconfig.xml.
- Reopen QuickBooks Desktop.
- In Windows, click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove the Method Integration Engine.
- Remove the Method Integration Listener.
You are done! If you are removing the engine to reinstall Method, proceed to our QuickBooks Desktop Install article.
back to top