How to install and sync Method with QuickBooks Desktop
In most scenarios, connecting your Method account to a QuickBooks Desktop file takes 15-30 mins. Follow the detailed steps in this article or watch the installation video to learn how.
Before you start
Before you get started using Method with your QuickBooks Desktop, you’ll need to ensure you are ready with all the following items below:
Sign Up with Method
At this point, you should be signed up and waiting for the sync. If you do not have an account, please sign up for a trial.
Step 1: Open QuickBooks
- Open your QuickBooks file to the company file you wish to sync. You will need Admin access for this QuickBooks file. If you are not the person who will be installing the sync engine, please see Additional Computers with QuickBooks to email the instructions to someone else.
You must choose the correct company file. If you sync the wrong QuickBooks file, it cannot be undone.
Step 2: Install
- Now it’s time to download the sync engine. Click Download to start the process.
- Click the downloaded file (MethodSyncInstaller.exe) to launch the installer.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install the Method Sync Engine.
- Eventually you will need to confirm the details of your authentication.
Step 3: Connect
- Once the install is complete, the following application certificate will pop up.
- Make sure you choose "Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running" and click Continue
> Done to start your Method sync!
If you accidentally click something else, you can change these settings later from within QuickBooks under the "Integrated Apps Settings" section.
- And now your sync is underway! To see the status of your sync, find the Method Logo in your task bar, right-click it, and select Display.
- Your first sync may take a while depending on the size of your QuickBooks file. When it's complete the Method PUSH status will read connected and turn green.
- When you return to your browser, you will be taken into Method!
- At this point you have configured Sync between Method:CRM and QuickBooks. In order for the changes you make in QuickBooks to be "Pulled" to Method:CRM you need to finalize configuration of the Method Listener. To do this restart QuickBooks and you will be prompted to accept a second certificate. Choose the same access level as previous (Yes, always).
And that's it!
Additional computers with QuickBooks
To ensure a real-time sync between Method and QuickBooks, the Method sync engine should be installed on each additional computer accessing the QuickBooks desktop file.
However, an Authorization code is needed when installing the engine..
Sending the email will include the download link and the authorization code for the sync. To send an email, follow these steps:
- Select the gear in the upper right corner and then select Preferences.
- Follow the navigation path: QuickBooks > Troubleshooting > Instructions to setup sync on a new desktop.
- Click Email Instructions.
- Put the email of the person you wish to send the email to and click Send.
- The email they get will contain a link to a website. When they click on that link, they will be taken to this page:
- They must select Generate One to copy the Authorization Code into your clipboard.
- With the installer downloaded, install the Method Sync Engine and then continue above from Step 5 - Connect.
Once complete, you will need to repeat the above steps for each computer that accesses the QuickBooks file. A few more notes:
- The additional sync engine will show a status of ”OnDemand from desktop only mode”. This is normal.
- The additional installations are responsible for listening to changes happening within QuickBooks and sending that data to Method. This does not replace the main sync engine on the main computer.
If a computer accessing the QuickBooks file does not have the Method sync engine installed, changes in data may be delayed until the next scheduled changes only sync occurs.