Log a Donation in Method for QBDT Accounts
How to Enter in a Donation if Method is connected to QuickBooks Desktop.
The following steps will show you how to log a donation in Method's Donations App. We recommend you set up your App Preferences before proceeding.
If you have a payment gateway set up, you will also have the choice to process the payment for the donation.
There are minor differences in creating a donation for Method depending on whether or not you have QuickBooks Online, or QuickBooks Desktop. If you are using QuickBooks Online, please see our article Log a Donation in Method for QBO Accounts
- From your Method dashboard, click New on your Donations App, or New Donation from your Donations List screen to open the New Donation Screen.
- Choose a donor (a customer) to associate with this donation.
If you are logging a donation from a new donor, click Add New Donor
. Click here
for details on how to add a new donor.
- These next few fields are optional:
- Donation # - transaction number for donation
- Date - date of donation
- Representative - This will be the Sales Rep you have assigned this donation to.
- Class - This is the program the donation is for. It is only visible if class tracking is enabled in QuickBooks.
- Tags - see Tags.
- Opportunity - If you have the Opportunities App, you can associate this donation with the opportunity.
- The next few checkboxes deal with how the transaction is dealt with in QuickBooks:
- Don't sync with QuickBooks - When checked, this donation will NOT sync to QuickBooks.
- Pending for Approval - Flags the sales receipt in QuickBooks as "pending"; do not send this invoice to the customer yet.
- Print later from QuickBooks - Flags the sales receipt in QuickBooks as "to be printed".
- Email later from QuickBooks - Flags the sales receipt in QuickBooks as "to be emailed".
- The next fields deal with payment options.
- Payment Method: Type of payment.
- Deposit to Account: Choose the bank account the payment will initially be deposited in. This field is populated by QuickBooks.
- Check #: Assign a check number if applicable.
- Process with Payment Gateway: If you have a payment gateway set up, you can immediately process the donation with a selected payment gateway. The below example will use Authorize.Net as a payment gateway:
Once a payment has been processed:
- Checkbox to process payment gateway will no longer appear
- The Check # will be filled with the appropriate reference number from the payment gateway.
- The editable grid allows you to add a donation item. Just click in each cell of the grid and add in the donation items. The Description and Amount fields populate from your QuickBooks file but can be edited afterwards.
- The Program dropdown is populated from QuickBooks classes.
You can learn more about classes in the Classes branch
of our Help Center.
- The next few checkboxes help you keep track of your donations:
- Sent Email - This is automatically checked if an email been sent via the Send Email button.
- Sent Letter - This is automatically checked if a letter has been printed via the Print Letter & Receipt button.
- Sent Receipt - This is automatically checked if a receipt has been printed via the Print Letter & Receipt button.
- Donation made Anonymously - Check this manually if the donation is anonymous.
- Donation made In Honor - Check this manually if the donation is made in honor of.
- Donation made in Memory - Check this manually if the donation is made in memory of.
- When you're finished, click Save. Your donation has been logged!
Saving the Donation
When you save the donation, the Total updates at the bottom of the donation, and an activity ribbon appears below the header.
If you wish to create an activity related to this donation (e.g. if a first-time donor called to donate) you can do so by selecting ⊕ New. You can learn more about activities on our Help Center.
At the bottom, you will find a few more buttons: