Create/edit an opportunity stage
An opportunity stage determines where in the pipeline your opportunity is. There are nine opportunity stages available in the stock version of Method:
- Prospecting: Determining the level of interest a potential customer has in your product or service.
- Qualification: Qualifying a lead or customer by using criteria including how interested they are, how likely they are to purchase, etc.
- Needs Analysis: Determining whether or not your product or service is a good fit based on their requirements.
- Value Proposition: Understanding what the value of your product or service is, and determining how valuable a customer would find it.
- Identify Decision Makers: Identifying the person or people with the power to make purchasing decisions, and develop a relationship with them.
- Perception Analysis: Determining how a customer perceives your product or service and their expectations of you.
- Proposal / Price Quote: Creating a quote and/or a proposal for review.
- Negotiation / Review: Hammering out the final details of the deal.
- Closed - either Closed Won or Closed Lost:
- Closed Lost: The customer does not pursue your product or service.
We log lost opportunities to gather data on how to improve our sales pipeline, products, services, marketing, etc.
- Closed Won: A sale is agreed upon. If the opportunity came from a lead, that lead is converted to a customer.
But the whole point of Method is to tailor your CRM experience to your business practices, so we’ve included an option to create a new opportunity stage.
The following steps will show you how to create and edit opportunity stages.
The add and edit screens are laid out the same way, so we will go through how to create a new stage. You can edit an existing stage by clicking on it and changing the information in the fields. It's a Method best practice not to edit stock options, but you can create your own very easily!
- From your Method dashboard click New on your Opportunities App, or click New Opportunity from your Opportunities List screen. This opens your New Opportunity screen.
- In the Stage dropdown, click New/Edit Opportunity Stage. This opens the Opportunity Stage List.
- Click New Opportunity Stage to open the New Opportunity Stage screen.
- Choose a name for your opportunity stage.
Method best practice says you should choose a name that reflects the step in the pipeline this stage best represents (e.g. continuing research).
- Assign it a stage category (open, closed won, or closed lost).
- Place it in the pipeline by assigning it a stage order (e.g. 6 of 10 steps).
- Identify the probability percent you would like this stage to represent.
- When you're done, click Save. This opportunity stage is now available througout Method.