Create a Sales Order
For QuickBooks Online (QBO) Users: QBO currently does not support sales orders, even though Method does. Thus, if you create a sales order in Method, this will not sync to QuickBooks. However, if you create an invoice from this sales order, the invoice will sync as usual.
There are several ways to create a sales order in Method. These steps focus on creating a brand-new sales order in Method's Sales Order App. (To learn how to convert an estimate into a sales order, click here.)
Create a sales order
- Click New on your Sales Orders App, or click New Sales Order from your Sales Order List. This opens your New Sales Order screen.
- Choose a customer to associate with this sales order. This opens more fields to be filled out.
- The top will show the total, the customer, as well as an app ribbon to associate activities with this sales order:
- The following fields are available to be filled in:
- Addresses: Depending on the information you have stored for your customer, billing and shipping information may be filled in.
- Sales Order #: Created if the field is left blank, and is assigned sequentially (if the last sales order was #15, this will be #16).
- Date* and Due: Today's date appears in the Date and Due fields (these can be changed manually).
- P.O. Number: Assign a purchase order number if applicable.
- Sales rep: Assign a sales rep.
- Terms: Assign terms to this sales order, if applicable.
- Class: Classes are used to sort your transactions.
- To be emailed in QuickBooks: Flags the sales order in QuickBooks as "to be emailed"; group and email multiple sales orders in QuickBooks.
- To be printed in QuickBooks: Flags the sales order in QuickBooks as "to be printed"; group and print multiple sales orders in QuickBooks.
- Wait for approval before syncing: Prevents the sales order from syncing to QuickBooks until a user unchecks this option and saves.
- Closed: Marks the sales order as closed.
In many cases, a sales order is used to track materials needed to complete the job (e.g. a 1 hour plumbing job might require a new drainpipe and washers to complete, so the sales order tracks that information). You can also include service items, but many sales orders deal with product items.
- Tags: Assign tags to this sales order.
- Opportunity: The opportunity this sales order is linked to.
- To add QuickBooks items to this sales order, add them directly in the grid. To add more lines, select the Add Lines button..
Note that the Invoiced QTY field is left blank - that’s because there’s no invoice yet!
- Add an Attachment to the sales order if need be.
- Include any pertinent Memos; they will not be visible to the customer.
- Choose a Customer message to appear on your sales order (e.g. "looking forward to your business").
- Apply a Tax rate if applicable. This was likely set up within QuickBooks.
- When you have finished your sales order, click Save.
This sales order is now visible in your Sales Order List!
Sales Order Buttons
- Delete - Delete the sales order. This cannot be undone!
- Clear & New - Clear the current sales order so it is empty and you can create a new one.
- Create Invoice - Generate an Invoice from this sales order (please see Convert sales order to invoice.)
- Print: Creates a pdf file of the estimate which you can print. Ensure your pop-ups are not blocked. The pdf is created using a template chosen within your app preferences.
- Email: Email the customer a link to their portal where they will be able to view the sales order online.
- Save & New: Save the sales order and clear the form to enter in a new sales order.
- Save: Save the sales order.
Link sales order to opportunity
If this sales order is being created as part of an ongoing opportunity, please follow these steps.
- From your Method dashboard, click Pipeline on your Opportunities App. This opens your Opportunities List screen.
- Locate and select the opportunity you wish to link this sales order to. You can search manually or use the search function at the top of the screen. This opens the Edit Opportunity screen.
- Click New on the Sales Orders app ribbon:
Then follow the steps above, beginning with step 3.
Your sales order is now linked to the opportunity, which means it appears in the Sales Orders app ribbon for this opportunity.