Using the Contacts App
The Contacts App allows you to view and edit Contacts, Customers, Leads, and Vendors within Method.
For more information on the difference between Contacts
, please view our article: What is a Contact
Changes you make are updated immediately in Method, and are updated in QuickBooks in the next sync.
However, there are certain cases where this information is not synced with QuickBooks:
- Customer Leads: Leads are not synced with QuickBooks but stay within Method. This keeps your QuickBooks clean.
- Multiple Contacts: Method allows you to have an unlimited number of contacts for each customer. This is not true for all versions of QuickBooks. Other than the first and initial contact, any further contact created in Method is not synced with QuickBooks.
Viewing a Contact
When you select a contact within your contacts list, you will be taken to a screen where you can view them.
Throughout this document, we will refer to whichever entity you are viewing as a Customer. There are minor differences when looking at a Customer, a Lead, a Vendor, and an Employee, but these differences will be noted.
The contact screen is split. It will list both the contact and the customer it is associated with.
Above is a screenshot of a contact. Let's go into detail for each section.
The Contact Header
The header at the top gives information about the contact and the customer it is associated with.
- Edit Buttons: This dropdown button allows you to make edits to either the Contact or the Customer.
- Customer Information: Information about the customer (entity) the contact is associated with.
- Shown in QuickBooks as: This is the name of the customer the contact is associated with as it shows in QuickBooks.
- Company: The company field for the customer.
- Last Transaction: The last transaction with the customer.
- Customer since: How long the customer has been with you.
- App Ribbon: The app ribbon shows related interactions and transactions the contact and its customer has with you.
- Other Contacts: This displays other contacts that are associated with the customer.
The Contact Details section shows information about the contact.
- Type: There are two types of contacts:
- Main Contact: Syncs with QuickBooks and is called the Primary Contact.
- Alternate Contact: Normally does not sync with QuickBooks.
- Tags: Contacts can be categorized by tags. Customers cannot be tagged.
- Portal: The Contacts portal allows the contact to view their information and transactions.
- Edit Contact Button: Allows you to edit the details of the contact.
The Customer Details section shows information about the customer associated with the displayed contact.
- Type: This refers to the entity type.
(syncs with QuickBooks): the individual or organization your company is billing.
- Customer Lead
(does not sync with QuickBooks): a potential customer.
(syncs with QuickBooks): a company or individual from whom your company purchases goods or services.
(syncs with QuickBooks): an individual who works for you.
- Depending on the QuickBooks version you are using, this will display:
- Assigned To (QuickBooks Online): This is the Method User the customer is assigned to if you are on QuickBooks Online.
- Sales Rep (QuickBooks Desktop): This is the Sales Rep assigned to the customer if you are on QuickBooks Desktop.
- Edit Customer button: Allows you to edit the details of the customer.