QBO sync preferences
This document will walk through the preferences for synchronization with QuickBooks Online. Most users will never need to change these settings, unless they require specific preferences.
- From the Method dashboard, click the Gear icon and choose Preferences.
- On the Preferences Menu, select QuickBooks.
Administrator permissions are required to access the QuickBooks Preferences.
There are three sections to the QuickBooks screen, Sync, Advanced and Troubleshooting.
When you click Expand next to the Sync option, you will see this screen:
The View Details screen for full and changes-only syncs provide additional information in real time about the last completed sync.
- Synced With: This number is assigned to your account by QuickBooks Online.
- Type: Changes-only versus full sync
- Started At: Sync started at date and time
- Finished At: Sync completed at date and time
- Total Time: Sync duration (in seconds)
- Result: There are three options:
- In progress (shows how far along the sync is as a percentage)
- Failure (shows how much of the sync was complete before failure, also as a percentage)
- Error: Errors that have occurred
When you click Expand next to the Advanced option, you will see these options:
Let Method assign Transaction numbers
Method automatically assigns a transaction number when saving, instead of waiting on QuickBooks to assign and send it back to Method.
- When checked, the transaction number will start +1 after the highest transaction number in Method, whether it was archived or not.
- When unchecked, the number will start +1 after the last transaction number in QuickBooks.
If you are using QuickBooks US, then you will see this option to toggle between using QuickBooks Automatic Sales Tax or not.
- Let QuickBooks calculate my tax rates - When selected, tax will be pulled into the transaction from QuickBooks Online when synced. If you change the tax in Method, this will be overridden by QuickBooks on the next sync.
- Let me set my tax rates - When selected, you can override the taxes set by QuickBooks Online in Method.
When you click Expand next to the Troubleshooting option, you will see this screen:
- Page size: When Method syncs withQuickBooks, records are not necessarily synced all at once, but in “batches”. The Page Size represents how many records are synced in each “batch” (by default, the page size is 250 records per batch). Alter your default page size here.
A large page size is usually preferable, because syncing lots of records at once is more efficient. However, if you’re experiencing sync abort or timeout responses, this could mean you’re having connectivity issues, meaning your records aren’t syncing. Reducing your page size means sending fewer records per batch, increasing the likelihood your sync will be successful.
- Connected with Intuit.com Since: Date and time your connection withQuickBooks Online was established.
- QuickBooks Online Company ID: Assigned to your company ID by QuickBooks Online.
- Sync Frequency: This section describes how often a sync occurs between QuickBooks and Method.
- If any record is added or updated in Method, this immediately gets synced to QuickBooks.
- If a record is added or updated in QuickBooks, it will automatically sync to Method within 20 minutes.
- Every hour, any record that has been changed within QuickBooks will sync over to Method (Changes Only sync).
- Once a day, all data within QuickBooks Online will sync over to Method (Full sync).
When you're finished making your changes, click Save to save them.