QBDT sync preferences
An explanation of the preferences for Method's QuickBooks Desktop Sync
This document will walk through the preferences for synchronization with QuickBooks Desktop. Most users will never need to change these settings, unless they require specific preferences.
Where to find the sync preferences
- Click on the Gear icon and choose Preferences.
- On the Preferences Menu, select QuickBooks.
Administrator permissions are required to access the QuickBooks Preferences.
There are three sections to the QuickBooks screen: Sync, Advanced, and Troubleshooting.
When you are finished with your changes, click Save at the bottom of the screen to save your preferences.
When you click Expand next to the Sync option, you will see this screen:
- Full Sync: Performs a sync with all accessible tables and records shared with QuickBooks. However, by default, only records within the date range specificed in Maintain Transaction History will sync.
The first initial sync Method completes with your QuickBooks file will pull in 180 days of transactions. After that, the Full Sync will follow the date range specified in Maintain Transaction History
. For more information, please see our article Method Sync in Detail
- Changes Only Sync: Performs a sync with only those records that have been modified since the last sync.
Clicking view details for either of the above will display the Sync Results screen showing sync status, and other details.
- Sync conflicts: A sync conflict happens when QuickBooks is unable to complete or rejects a request by Method to add, modify or delete a record. Click View Conflict to be brought to the Sync Conflicts screen. See QB Desktop Sync Conflicts for more detail.
The View Details screen for full and changes-only syncs provide additional information in real time about the last completed sync.
- Synced With: The computer it has synced with
- Type: Changes-only versus full sync
- Started At: Sync started at date and time
- Finished At: Sync completed at date and time
- Total Time: Sync duration (in seconds)
- Result: There are three options:
- In progress (shows how far along the sync is as a percentage)
- Failure (shows how much of the sync was complete before failure, also as a percentage)
- Error: Any errors that occurred during the sync
When you click Expand next to the Advanced option, you will see this screen:
- Let Method assign Transaction numbers: QuickBooks transactions have a ref number field (transaction number) which is a user defined ID for the transaction (e.g. "Look at invoice number 28"). This number is automatically and sequentially assigned by QuickBooks when the transaction is saved.
Enabling this option allows Method to take over the assignment of transaction numbers instead of waiting on QuickBooks to do it and send it back to Method for display.
- When checked, the transaction number will start +1 after the last transaction number in Method, whether it was archived or not.
- When unchecked, the number will start +1 after the last transaction number in QuickBooks.
When using this feature we strongly suggest creating transactions in Method or QuickBooks but not both. Doing so may result in transactions with the same number if both systems are trying to assign numbers during a time when sync is not connected.
When you click Expand next to the Troubleshooting option, you will see this screen:
- QuickBooks file: QuickBooks company file that syncs with Method.
- If you rename your QuickBooks company file name because of a company name change, Method will no longer recognize it. Please contact Method Support (email@example.com) to reset your QuickBooks file.
- Synced Computer: The main computer that hosts theQuickBooks company file above. Usually the same machine the initial sync was completed on.
- Reset Synced Computer Name - If you change the computer hosting your company file, Method will no longer recognize it. If you make this change, click Reset and then re-sync.
- Method PUSH Connection Status: Sync engine status (connected or disconnected) and duration of status.
- TCP/IP Roaming: Reserved for Method users on Right Networks. By default, this option is disabled. Please contact Method Support for more information on this option.
- QuickBooks Closing Date - The closing date set in QuickBooks.
- Instructions to setup sync on a new desktop: This opens the first steps to set up a sync on a new desktop, as you learned about here.